Review of Just For Men Beard Wash
Looking for a review of Just For Men Grey Reducing Beard Wash? Curious if this product really works? If the answer is yes, you’ve come to the right place.
That’s because I’ve been using Combe International’s new product for the past six months. What follows is my honest review of the wash with nothing held back.
Before we dive too deep, you need to know I’m not getting paid anything from the folks at Just For Men. I’m also not being compensated through an affiliate program.
Nope, this review is designed to share my personal experiences with insight you’ll get nowhere else.
I do want to say that I have been using the company’s traditional beard coloring dye for several years. You know what I’m talking about, right? The old product that required you to blend the gel and conditioner in a trey and then apply to your whiskers.
I’m mentioning this because you may want to have a basis for comparison. Shoot, I know this would be important to me.
Oh, before I forget – my natural hair and beard color are darkish brown. Therefore, this analysis only applies to darker colors.
OK, let’s move on to the review. I’ll give you a rundown of what I like and don’t like.
What I Liked
- Simple to use and doesn’t require as much front-end work as the old “trey” approach.
- Gradually darkens beard over time.
- Made my beard more manageable; something I suspect is because of the ingredients in the wash.
- My beard looked fuller, giving me a more youthful appearance.
- The product penetrated my coarse facial hairs without much difficulty.
- One bottle/container lasted for approximately 45 days.
- The color looked realistic and not fake.
What I didn't like
- It took longer than I thought for the color to “kick in”. In my case, I used the wash every day for a solid week. It was only after the seventh application that I saw visible changes.
- If you aren’t careful, you can stain your fingernails. Also, don’t let any of the product accumulate at the bottom of a porcelain sink. Both things happened to me. This could have been prevented had I been paying more attention.
- Takes longer to “see” results when compared to the original beard coloring product.
Does The Beard Wash Work?
So, you are probably wondering if the Control GX Beard Wash works? In my case, all I can tell you is that I’ve been very pleased.
Over time, it did a great job of making my whiskers look darker. I can also share I’ve received many compliments from other people.
At a national retail price of $11.00, I’d be hard pressed to say that the product is overpriced. Bear in mind that the original Just For Men beard coloring kit hovers around $8.00 to $10.00, depending on where you get.
The difference is the Control GX Beard wash will last a lot longer. As I mentioned above, it took a full seven days for me to notice a difference. That said, once I achieved the desired color, I only used the wash three times per week for maintenance.
Below, I’ve included a video from Jonnie Grooms. He provided his own review via YouTube. We both had very similar experiences, which is why I added.
If you decide to use this product, I highly recommend vigorously shaking the bottle before application. To me, this helped to mix the liquid up.
Also, I recommend leaving the wash on longer than the two to three minutes, as mentioned in the directions. To get the most out of the shampoo, you might want to leave on for five to seven minutes.
It’s important to state that you must do a skin allergy test before using this product. Everyone has a different reaction to dyes, so conducting the test makes sense. See this article from Good Housekeeping to learn more.
In case you are wondering, you probably should not apply this shampoo to other areas of the body, such as your pubes. I mention this only because the directions clearly state not to use it on your head. If you can’t use it up there, why would it be OK to apply “down there”?
FYI: If you want to know the safe way to color that area, see this post on dying your pubic hair for men.
Finally, avoid the mistakes I made the first-time using Control GX. Do yourself a favor and wash your hands immediately after application so they don’t get stained by the dye. Also, it helps to have some cut up clothes around to sop up sudsy accumulation in the sink.
I recognize there are other reviews online to suggest Just For Men’s Beard Wash doesn’t work and is a waste of money. All I can say is that I’ve had a positive experience.
If you are looking for something that provides instant coloring, your best bet is to use their traditional product. But, if you want to invest less time in dying your beard, the Control GX Grey Reducing Beard Wash might be a smart choice.
Well, there you have it, guys – my honest review. Like I promised, nothing was held back.
Have you used this product? If so, please share your impressions below.
- Best DIY hair coloring dyes for men
- Top hair thickening products for men
- Best anti-wrinkle products for men